Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Bingsoo ya, Patbingsoo ya.. (My Version of Patbingsoo!)




This song is by Yoon Jong Shin, which is about Patbingsoo. The beat is refreshing like summer right?

Patbingsoo is a popular summer snack in Korea, which is made mainly from sweetened azuki beans, shaved ice, fruits, and small pieces of rice cakes (tteok). Other varieties of Patbingsoo include different types of fruits like banana, strawberry, etc. Ice cream can also be added, depending on taste. "Luxury" kinds of Patbingsoo include lots of fruits, variety of ice cream flavors (green tea please), cereal, and so much more. To complete the delicious snack, sweetened condensed milk is added. 

There definitely is a Filipino counterpart of Patbingsoo, and that is Halo-halo. Halo-halo's name is from the Filipino word "halo" meaning to mix. Halo-halo also by itself means "mixed" or "of different types." Halo-halo, in contrast, has many ingredients (about ten more or less) of different varieties ranging from beans to fruits. It is also sometimes topped with ice cream and completed with evaporated milk. As a Filipino, I explained Patbingsoo as the Korean Halo-halo to my family. Since summer time is slowly approaching in countries that have 4 seasons (like Korea) and it's also getting hotter in Dubai, I decided to make Patbingsoo. I actually didn't have the idea to make it until I went to the grocery and found this wonderful bag of red beans (azuki beans). 


(photo taken from Google)


I don't usually cook, but I always find myself making Korean food at home. However, the timing was right and I have been craving since I re-watched an episode of Running Man where they ate Patbingsoo at a market (deliciously, if I may add). Maangchi (Korean food blogger) has always been my guide when I suddenly crave for Korean food. In fact, here's the recipe I followed in making Patbingsoo. I had to adjust the measurements though, since I decided to cook all of the beans in that 340 g pack.

So here's my own recipe of Patbingsoo.

Ingredients (for sweetened azuki beans)

340g Azuki beans (roughly 1 and 3/4 cup)
6 cups water
1 tbs vanilla
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 ts salt

I followed Maangchi's instructions to boil the beans on low heat and let it simmer for an hour until the beans are crushable. Drain the water then add vanilla, sugar and salt. Mix over low heat for 5 minutes. Let it cool.


This is the leftover sweetened red beans after making 2 servings.

I didn't get to take pictures of the process so I only took photos of what's left in the end. Now to make the Patbingsoo itself..

Since I made this without much planning, I just shaved the ice through a blender. I added the sweetened red beans, banana, and apple on top of the shaved ice and finished it off with skimmed milk. I put skimmed milk to lessen the sugar content and because the Azuki beans are already sweet, it makes up for the flavor.

Here it is, my version of Patbingsoo perfect for summer.



This Patbingsoo is my humble version of the snack, without rice cakes (tteok), which makes it very Korean. I hope someday, when I pass by a Korean mart, I can buy tteok and put it in my Patbingsoo!

No comments :

Post a Comment